There are two types of Diabetes – type one and type two.
Type one diabetes develops in children or young adults and requires treatment with insulin alongside a healthy diet and regular physical activity.
Type Two Diabetes mainly occurs in people aged over 40 but can also affect younger patients. It is managed through oral medication, diet, physical activity, and weight management. It also sometimes requires treatment with insulin.
The risk factors for Type Two Diabetes are:
• Being overweight or obese
• Blood sugar levels higher than normal
• Women having a waist size of 31.5 inches (80cm) or more
• Men having a waist size of 37 inches (94cm) or more
• An immediate member of the family with Type Two Diabetes, whether it be mum, dad, brother, sister, or child
The common symptoms for Type Two Diabetes are;
• Being thirsty a lot of the time
• Experiencing tiredness or fatigue
• Weight loss
• Passing large amounts of urine
If any of the above information applies to yourself and you are concerned about the potential risk of developing type 2 diabetes, don’t hesitate to call into your local Cohens chemist. The pharmacist and staff can put your mind at ease and check your blood pressure, your BMI and offer weight management advice all completely free of charge.